all their trademark and copyright matters?
Or not so biglaw®...
If you are a business lawyer, investment banker or accountant, your referrals must match the needs of your client. And sometimes the client does not need or will not benefit from costly resources associated with big firms.
selecting a trademark attorney for your client, you might consider
whether the trademark attorney you propose to refer has extensive
prosecution experience, has litigated trademarks, has participated in
Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings, whether the attorney
personally has a network of lawyers outside of the United States for
foreign trademark prosecution, whether
there is a readily available depth of knowledge, whether the attorney
you talk to will personally handle your trademark portfolio, and
whether the attorney participates in professional activities in his or
• Attorney of record in over 100 cases in Federal Courts involving intellectual property issues.
• Attorney of record in over 700 trademark filings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
• Attorney of record in over 50 Trademark Trial and Appeal Board matters involving opposition, cancellation and appeal proceedings.
• Obtained trademark protection for clients in association with foreign counsel in territories including China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Switzerland, U.K., European Union, India, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Guatemala, Honduras, Russian Federation, South Africa and United Arab Emirates.
• Successfully represented company through jury trial against lawsuit by multinational company for claim of trademark infringement which resulted in defense verdict.
• Obtained seizure order against manufacture of infringing clothing articles and conducted seizure.
• Successfully obtained reversal by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals of summary judgment in copyright infringement claim.
• Litigated idea submission claims in connection with television series against its producer.
• Successfully tried copyright infringement action to jury on behalf of plaintiff. After trial, judgment was sustained on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• Testified in federal court as expert witness in trademark infringement lawsuit.
• Successfully litigated and settled trademark infringement dispute involving travel agency name.
• Litigated copyright infringement lawsuit against major software manufacturer resulting in a satisfactory settlement following mediation.
• Represented marketing professional against multinational company in connection with concept used in connection with major marketing campaign. Mediation resulted in a satisfactory settlement.
• Represented prominent photographer in suit for copyright infringement against calendar publisher.
• Successfully litigated trademark infringement dispute involving a restaurant name. Mediation resulted in a satisfactory settlement.
• Pursued newspaper publisher in copyright infringement claim resulting in stipulated injunction.
• Successfully forced change of mark by service provider without the necessity of filing a lawsuit.
• Successfully settled lawsuit involving claimed copyright infringement of motion picture video in DVD.
• Represented film rights holder against foreign sales agent in IFTA arbitration and obtained favorable arbitration award.
• Local counsel in connection with copyright infringement lawsuit involving popular song.
• Litigated as associate counsel copyright infringement claims involving writer and obtained satisfactory settlement.
• Satisfactorily resolved dispute involving motion picture title representing motion picture producer against book publisher’s use of confusingly similar title.
• Litigated and satisfactorily resolved claims of copyright infringement of jewelry designs.
• Litigated contractual dispute by game creator against distributor.
• Successfully litigated through settlement a copyright infringement dispute between an artist and a major retail chain involving sale of arguably infringing ceramic products.
• Litigated trademark infringement lawsuit against school resulting in a satisfactory settlement involving a name change.
• Successfully litigated through settlement copyright infringement dispute between an artist and a merchandising outfit involving a variety of consumer products.
• Successfully tried lawsuit involving failure to pay royalties in connection with the domestic distribution of a theatrical motion picture.
• Appealed decision from the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board through hearing before the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
• Arbitrator of numerous disputes involving international motion picture distribution rights through the IFTA International Arbitration panel.
• Successfully litigated breach of contract dispute in the toy game business resulting in a mediated settlement.
• Defended active sports product company in copyright and trademark infringement suit by major studio.
• Successfully defended through settlement product distributor against claims by major studio of infringement over dispute as to whether distributor had obtained a license.
The foregoing examples should not be taken to imply that a same or similar result will be achieved in other matters.
For more information, see Paul's bio and also his website at http://www.supnik.com/ or on SuperLawyers.com
Should your needs require the assistance of a larger firm with a more varied practice,
Paul is affiliated as of counsel to Rufus-Isaacs, Acland & Grantham, LLP.
not so biglaw®